Monday, November 28, 2011

Peter Canning Paramedic: On The Front Lines of Medicine Review

Peter goes back to real calls he had been on, some of which were just individuals abusing the system calling for an ambulance to act as a taxi but others were true emergencies everything from shootings to infants who had stopped breathing. This 368 page book is breath taking from start to finish aside from the very few pages in which Peter speaks of his 12 years of service spent in Washington, D.C., with Senator Lowell Weicker, which I found to be a bit slow and slightly dull, any talk of politics with me puts me to sleep. But he quickly picks it back up describing everything from drug administration to his thoughts and feelings about his partners and his own doubts in himself to make the right move. He recounts a wide variety of heart pounding calls he works, how he is feeling about them and exactly what he does during the process. He acknowledges the fact that although a paramedic, he is human. Humans make mistakes, he made mistakes with some of his patients but learns from his mistakes and goes on to better himself.

As a new EMT I found this book to help prepare me in a sesne for what I too may encounter and he has given me ideas of how to handle or not to handle a wide variety of situations.

For me personally, I found myself many times in this book. Often times I would jump off my couch saying to myself how much I could relate to him. As a new EMT all you want to do is do your best, give 100% effort yet at the same time there is at times this overwhelming fear of just being in the way of your partner or what if, God forbid, you make a mistake, which in this field could be a life threatening mistake for you, your partner, or your patient which can end your career before it even begins.

So many worries can get in the way of you learning. I experienced this while doing my ride alongs during EMT school. I was so worried I would be in the way or would make the wrong move that I look back on it now and see I missed a few opportunities to get some hands on experience. The nice thing about being a student and the lead paramedic knowing it, is yes they are watching your every move but they are doing so in order to guide you incase you do get off track.

From the Inside Flap:

"In this unforgettable, dramatic account of one man's experience as an EMT, Peter Canning relives the nerve-racking seconds that can mean the difference between a patient's death and survival, as Canning struggles to make the right call, dispense the right medication, or keep a patient's heart beating long enough to reach the hospital. As Canning tells his graphic, gripping war stories--of the lives he saved and lost; of the fear, the nightmares, and the constant adrenaline-pumping thrill of action--we come away with an unforgettable portrait of what it means to be a hero."

Biography

Peter Canning has been a full-time paramedic in the Greater Hartford area since January of 1995. His first book Paramedic: On the Front Lines of Medicine details his journey from speechwriter for the Governor of Connecticut to caregiver on the city streets. Rescue 471: A Paramedic's Stories is the sequel.

A graduate of the Iow
a Writer's Workshop, Canning attended the Phillips Exeter Academy and the University of Virgina. He has worked many jobs in his life: tennis instructor, aide to United States Senator, taxi driver, meatpacker, line cook, telephone solicitor, book and movie reviewer, factory worker, health department administrator, speechwriter and political campaign director before finding his place in life as a paramedic.

Canning is currently at work revising a novel about EMS.

A lifelong fan of the Boston Red Sox, he and his family live in West Hartford, Connecticut.



His blog: Street Watch: Notes of a Paramedic

I am now going on to read Peter's following book Rescue 471: A Paramedic's Stories and this too is starting off just as heart pounding as the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment