Sunday, February 26, 2012

Taking That Leap

I have finally got on with an agency in my area as an EMT Reserve. This is like a fresh breath of air for me knowing I finally have a foot in the door. It’s been quite a process though filling out the application and collecting all the forms I needed before I could submit it. I waited about a month before I heard back from anyone.

                It was on a Saturday afternoon and I was on my way to go shopping when the phone rang. It was them calling to schedule a time I could come in and interview. I kept my professional composer on the phone but inside I was jumping and screaming for joy!

                Long story short, I interviewed, did a brief skills assessment, and took a 100 question written exam. I did well on each area and a week later was offered the opportunity to become an EMT Reserve.

                It’s been about 2 months now. I’ve gotten up to date on all required immunizations, TB tests, read the required volunteer handbook that I thought would never end and finally received my badge! All I have to do now is sign up for rides….this is the leap I am almost afraid of taking.

                I am so excited to get started but the shock of “Wow this is my career now. It’s actually becoming a reality and I’m actually titled as a professional EMT now.” That’s difficult for me to get used to for some reason, it seems so unreal. I know I’m ready but starting something so new is always difficult for me. The fear of “what if I screw this up?” is heavy in my mind. This feeling takes me back to the first day of EMT school when I felt overwhelmed and almost walked away before it even began. I didn’t walk away then and I’m not walking away now. I just have to take that leap and have faith in myself to do this and to do it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment