Saturday, September 10, 2011

Beginning EMT School and Sticking With It!

I knew my heart was in the right place and I wanted a profession that would be greater than myself and a career I could truly feel great about at the end of the day. Becoming an EMT was the path I ultimately chose to pursue.

The semester I decided I wanted to go to EMT school I was heart broken right off the bat because I couldn't afford to start that semester which meant I had to wait 3 months until the following semester, I'm not the most patient person and when I decide I want something....I want it right then and there.

3 months had passed and I was finally able to begin EMT school! I was so genuinely excited to begin I could hardly stand it. My first night consisted of the usual stuff...introductions, reading over the syllabus and our first lecture class.

The first lecture simply scared the crap out of me.


I went home thinking "How am I going to learn all of this in just three short months?" After my first night I already felt completely overwhelmed with the information I had just been given.

The following class period was our Lab class which we would be practicing our skills in. (Separate class from lecture class) I also felt overwhelmed from this class! We were given our skills sheets (about 8 of them) that we would have to memorize each and every step for each skill by the end of the semester. These skills would be the big test at the end, our practical which determines if you can go on to take National Registry...I'll explain more on that later.

Long story short...I stuck with these classes, studied my ass off including doing extra credit work, reading and creating flash cards until 2 or 3 in the morning most nights and caring my EMT text book with me everywhere like I do my children....yes this book was and still is attached to my hip.

Best advice to overcome the "overwhelming" feeling and "self doubt".... If this is something you really truly want to do, you will find every way possible to make it happen. Never give up or let anyone tell you, you can't do something. I've lived my life this way by overcoming multiple obstacles and shutting down anyone who told me I couldn't make something of myself...I couldn't be more proud of all I've accomplished.

So... I passed my lecture class with an outstanding A and passed my skills testing (the practical)

I then went on to take the National Registry Exam, which determines if you are going to be a nationally and state certified EMT or not. This is the biggest of the biggest tests!
Stay focused in class, study study study! and you will do just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment